SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES: The Assistant Farm Manager will work with the Farm Manager to accomplish the day to day tasks of farm operation, seasonal planning, volunteer harvests, and general farm maintenance at two sites within the Forgotten Harvest Farms division.
- Work under the Farm Manager to accomplish planning, ground preparation, planting, maintenance, harvesting, and reporting at three sites in Oakland County areas totaling over 80 acres of vegetable production
- Help facilitate volunteer harvest events on multiple sites
- Work independently at various satellite farm sites to accomplish tasks directed by farm manager
- Assist with mechanical repairs of farm equipment and facilities at various sites
- Assist with creating “Standard Operating Procedures” for a safe, efficient farm operation
- Assist with proper handling and mixing of Agricultural chemicals
- Assist with reporting and documenting yields, pest / disease problems, volunteer activities, etc.
- Perform field labor as directed
- Assist in compliance with food safety guidelines
- Maintain a clean, safe, and organized work environment at all sites
- Oversee seasonal farm labor in accomplishing planting, maintenance, and harvest
- Maintain proper hydration and working conditions for staff and volunteer laborers
- Use basic math skills to calibrate equipment, forecast yield data, formulate pesticide / herbicide mixtures, and properly report the activities at multiple farm sites
- Manage Seasonal field staff as directed by Farm Manager
- Operate tractors and other farm equipment to independently prepare ground, plant vegetables, spray
- Safely transport heavy equipment, food, and personnel on the primary farm site as well as to and from satellite farm locations
- Other duties as assigned
- Pesticide applicator license a plus
- Must have production farm or gardening experience
- Valid MI Driver’s License – ability to get DOT Chauffer’s License. Dependable transportation and willingness to travel between sites.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee may be required to stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee may occasionally be required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may need to lift and/or move items weighing from 20-50+ pounds. Good vision abilities are needed for close vision, distance vision, and color vision.
- Ability to work outdoors in extreme weather for extended periods of time
- Experienced and capable of safely operating heavy equipment without direct supervision, preferred
- Willing to work flexible work schedule, including weekends
- Basic knowledge of MS office and other basic computer skills is a must
- Flexible, energetic, with a strong work ethic
- Able to multi task
- Excel in operating independently when given proper instructions and equipment
- Proven ability to work with a variety of people and handle stressful situations calmly is essential
- Confidence in operating heavy equipment and safely handling food and agricultural chemicals
POSITION START DATE: April – November
This position could become full time to assist in developing a new “food bank farm” concept. Candidate should be knowledgeable about agriculture and related issues, articulate in speaking with volunteers and community partners, and competent in writing clear reports and other documentation.
DEADLINE: Candidates must provide resumes to: