AM General LLC, headquartered in South Bend, Ind., with major facilities in nearby Mishawaka, Ind., Auburn Hills, Mich., Franklin, Ohio, and offices in Arlington, Va., designs, engineers, manufactures, supplies and supports specialized vehicles for military and commercial customers worldwide.
Through its Military business, the company is recognized as a world leader in the design, engineering, manufacturing and support of Light Tactical Vehicles, having produced and sustained more than 300,000 vehicles in over 60 countries.
AM General’s growing Commercial business includes two wholly owned subsidiaries: diesel engine manufacturer Powertrain Assembly Plant and automatic transmission manufacturer General Transmission Products. AM General has more than six decades of experience meeting the changing needs of the defense and automotive industries, supported by its employees in Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio, and a strong supplier base that stretches across 43 states.
Responsible for 3D MBD(Multi-Body Dynamics) modeling and analysis in the design and development of military vehicles, subassemblies, and detailed parts of considerable technical magnitude. Support system based modeling and simulation team. Develop physics-based and high-fidelity models of vehicle systems, and subsystems using MBD tools along with MatLab, AMESIM, and related software packages. Run simulations with the models against a range of vehicle and environmental parameters to evaluate performance of vehicle systems in a variety of scenarios.Position encompasses the incorporation of customer requirements and specifications, functional design of the vehicle, test, development and introduction into vehicle production. Assures cost effectiveness throughout various program phases. Also provides functional guidance to other departments which provide technical support to achieve overall objectives.
- Model vehicle systems; Develop, refine, analyze, and apply physics-based MBD models of vehicle systems, and subsystems to assess the performance of existing and proposed vehicle designs against requirements, and to assist in design modifications.
- Work with Senior Systems Architect and Sr. Systems Requirements Engineers to perform requirements allocation, decomposition, and derivation to systems architecture and product structure
- Assist in trade studies to improve systems performance for size, weight, power, cooling, and affordability
- Assist in the development of system test plans and procedures, systems laboratory testing, and support system qualification in field
- Support general systems engineering activities and work tasks to include process development, data management, configuration management, etc.
- Support contract and product requirements for configuration management, data management, issue tracking and resolution, cost, schedule, and budget.
- Assess test results and incorporate them into the model development process
- Provide feedback to Test Engineering to help analyze test methods, plans, and procedures
- Support vehicle transportability documentation
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Skill in applying and using high-fidelity MBD tools i.e. MSC/ADAMS or Virtual.Lab
- B.S. or M.S. in Mechanics or in Mechanical Engineering. Over 5 years of MBD vehicle simulation and development using MSC/ADAMS or Virtual.Lab. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with engineers, vendors and others. Knowledge of software LMS Virtual.Lab or MSC/ADAMS, ADAMS/CAR, MatLab, and AMESIM(Imagine.Lab)
- Knowledge of DoD contract requirements and specifications for ground vehicles
- Experience with general systems analysis activities and product development
- Preferred experience in automotive powertrain development using simulaiton tools i.e. AMESIM, MATLAB/Simulink.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and or move objects up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routine uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and copy, fax and scanning machines.