The position of Corporate Attorney is with Simon Group Holdings LLC (SGH), which is an affiliate of Atlas Oil Company.
Simon Group Holdings traces its roots to 1985 and the founding of Atlas Oil by Sam Simon. Simon Group Holdings operates as a holding company with a portfolio of businesses ranging from oil and gas distribution, oil field services, transportation and logistics, private equity, real estate investment and lending and technology start-ups. By operating under a “management first” philosophy, Simon Group Holdings has successfully built the very best industry leadership and operational management teams, ensuring that the companies continue to grow. The company remains dedicated to six core values: Passion, Collaborative Innovation, Customer Focus, Solution Driven, Do the Right Thing, and Pride & Image. These values have provided the guiding principles for Simon Group Holdings to continue to grow and successfully operate a number of businesses.
Simon Group Holdings offers its employees a full benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision options. We also offer life insurance, 401k that includes a company match and paid time off. In addition to that, we offer tuition reimbursement to assist our team members in their professional development.
If you are driven to be the best you can be and are looking for an organization to match your high standards, look no further!
The Corporate Attorney will report to the General Counsel and assist the Legal Department with oversight of all legal activities for the firm and provide expert legal advice and counsel in connection with complex corporate and real estate transactions, mergers and acquisitions, procurement contracts, asset protection, and strategic and tactical matters.
Required Education / Certification
- Five to ten years’ experience at a major law firm and/or major in-house corporate department.
- JD from an accredited law school and excellent academic credentials.
- State Bar of Michigan member in good standing.
- Local candidate preferred.
Primary Responsibilities & Scope
As a crucial member of this team, you will:
- Participate on transaction teams with respect to a broad range of investments, including private equity, debt (including mezzanine debt), minority co-investments, workouts, fund investments, and impact investments.
- Assist with the formation of SGH’s private market proprietary funds relating to primary and secondary investments in private equity and credit funds and co-investments (as part of M&A transactions) with sophisticated counterparties
- Review, draft and negotiate PPMs, limited partnership agreements, operating agreements, side letters with investors, registration rights agreements, investment management agreements, shareholders agreements, subscription agreements, and other investment-related documents.
- Review, draft and negotiate commercial and real estate transaction documents, including term sheets, MOU/LOI’s, NDA’s, purchase and sale agreements, loan and security documents, escrow agreements, leases, and conveyance documents.
- Review and analyze survey and title work.
- Support all legal aspects of acquisition and financing transactions, including due diligence, and act as transaction coordinator.
- Assist with identifying legal and enterprise risks, and developing internal controls, processes and procedures to ensure that the organization maintains compliance with law, best business practices and ethical requirements.
- Review marketing materials and RFP’s.
- Assist in advising on certain securities laws, corporate governance matters and company policies and procedures.
- Assist with the development, implementation and maintenance of a document management system and document retention/destruction policy.
- Assist with the development, implementation and maintenance of a contract compliance system, including establishing a database of various corporate documents, form agreements, templates, and contract clauses applicable to the organization’s various business units.
- Remain abreast of relevant legislation and significant court decisions, and recommend policy modifications based on changes in the law.
- Engage and manage the activity of outside counsel, with the goal of minimizing the organization’s legal costs and obtaining highest quality of services.
Characteristics needed to support your success:
- Significant direct deal experience as a lead attorney on complex and sophisticated commercial, real estate, and finance transactions.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and efficiently on collaborative teams and with investors, clients and partners.
- Ability to skillfully manage and prioritize multiple internal and external client demands, transactions and projects as a lead lawyer.
- Demonstrated business acumen with ability to inspire trust and confidence with senior management.
- Intellectual agility, and ability to analyze and think critically/strategically.
- Exemplary creative, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Excellent writing and verbal presentation skills, interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate effectively and concisely.
- Initiative, dependability and motivation.
- Ability to work independently with moderate to no supervision on a broad range of legal matters/topics, some of which may be new issues.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, multi-task, and adapt as necessary in a fast-paced environment.
- High attention to detail.
- Team builder.
- Unquestionable ethics, integrity, and professionalism.