Special-Lite manufactures engineered architectural products, which includes commercial entrance systems, interior aluminum (Type II) framing with swing or sliding aluminum framed doors, and FRP restroom partitions. Our interior and exterior complete entrance system products are fiberglass or aluminum flush doors with many door face texture options including wood grain, aluminum monumental (stile & rail) doors, fiberglass and aluminum framing. Our engineered, made to order architectural products are used in new construction and renovation projects for educational, commercial, institutional, industrial and municipal applications. The company was founded in 1971 and pioneered the use of fiberglass reinforced polyester (FRP) material for door skins in the early 1980's, and today is the largest volume producer of commercial FRP doors in the United States.
Basic Functions: The Database Developer will maintain and improve existing legacy FileMaker database applications and will work closely with business staff to design, develop, test and implement new FileMaker database functionality. The database developer will also work with business technical staff and vendors for data loading and extraction between other internal business systems and third-party applications. The database developer will provide training and general support of the database applications to the business staff. Additionally, the database developer will be responsible for general database maintenance, performance tuning, backups, etc.
Responsibility & Primary Duties:
- Maintain and improve legacy FileMaker database applications.
- Interview business staff to identify database application requirements.
- Design, develop, test and implement new FileMaker database functionality.
- Collaboration and communication with business technical staff and vendors.
- Load data from and extract data to third-party systems.
- Generate reports as needed for business staff.
- Support business staff through database application training and information.
- Troubleshoot database applications.
- Keep current with technologies that have potential impact on company information processes, identify opportunities and make recommendations for changes or additions.
- Ensure the short-term reliability and availability of FileMaker database applications.
- Ensure the long-term reliability, scalability and maintainability of FileMaker database applications.
- Assist with disaster recovery and planning.
- Deliver quality service by establishing and demonstrating organization standards.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Three (3) years or greater experience of database or application development in a business environment.
- Thorough and fundamental knowledge of relational database design.
- Experience with XML and XML transformation.
- Strong understanding of business logic and processes.
- Strong verbal and communications skills.
- Ability to define, analyze and document requirements.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Self-motivated and adaptable, with a positive attitude.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, and perform in an environment that can be ambiguous and time sensitive.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to travel to conferences, vendor meetings and to our other locations, which are located in Benton Harbor, MI & Marshall, AR. The amount of travel per year should be approximately 5% or less.
Desired Knowledge and Experience:
- FileMaker Certified Developer with five (5) years or greater experience of FileMaker database development in a business environment is a plus.
- Associates degree in computer sciences.
- Experience with SQL queries.
- Experience with Crystal Reports.
- Retirement and Savings Plan and Trust – 401(k)
- Performance Incentive Plan
- Christmas Bonus
- Safety Equipment Provided
- Paid Vacation
- 10 Paid Holidays
- Bereavement Leave
- Paid Jury Duty Leave
- Benefits Continuation (COBRA)
- Tuition Reimbursement Plan
- Health Insurance – Medical/Prescription/Dental Coverage
- Life and AD&D Insurance Coverage
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts – Medical and Dependent Care
- Direct Deposit
- Employee Assistance Program, providing voluntary, professional counseling and referral services to employees and dependents