AM General LLC, headquartered in South Bend, Ind., with major facilities in nearby Mishawaka, Ind., Auburn Hills, Mich., Franklin, Ohio, and offices in Arlington, Va., designs, engineers, manufactures, supplies and supports specialized vehicles for military and commercial customers worldwide.
Through its Military business, the company is recognized as a world leader in the design, engineering, manufacturing and support of Light Tactical Vehicles, having produced and sustained more than 300,000 vehicles in over 60 countries.
AM General’s growing Commercial business includes three wholly owned subsidiaries: diesel engine manufacturer General Engine Products, automatic transmission manufacturer General Transmission Products, and Mobility Ventures, designer and manufacturer of the acclaimed MV-1, the only American made vehicle specifically engineered from the ground up in support of wheelchair users and people with disabilities. AM General is also proud to have been selected by Mercedes-Benz to be its only contract manufacturer in the United States, producing the R-Class vehicle in Mishawaka, Ind.
AM General has more than six decades of experience meeting the changing needs of the defense and automotive industries, supported by its employees in Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio, and a strong supplier base that stretches across 43 states.
- Develops maintenance criteria to be utilized by Technical Writers in the preparation of manuals for military vehicles.
- Evaluates vehicle design from maintenance engineering analysis position to ensure maintenance capabilities in the field. Position requires substantial knowledge of the entire product line, knowledge of multiple applications and a detailed knowledge of fundamental maintenance time study and repair procedures.
- Responsible for establishing maintenance criteria and evaluating the maintenance procedures established by Technical Writers. Decisions have worldwide impact on military maintenance programs.
- Responsible for preparation of maintenance criteria and maintenance plans for military vehicles.
- Determines need for, or develops, special tools to be utilized in military vehicle maintenance.
- Researches and analyzes field complaints and recommends engineering solutions to maintenance problems of military vehicles in the field.
- Advises technical writers as to proper inclusions in the Maintenance Manuals.
- Reviews manuals to ascertain that all maintenance functions have been included and described functions can be performed by the proper field personnel.
- Reviews Engineering Change Proposals (ECP) to determine impact upon present maintenance procedures. Determines if change will require special tooling and skill level by the appropriate personnel.
- Observes engineering changes as they are made in the Experimental Operations Shop on both prototype and production vehicles to determine if changes need to be made to Maintenance Manuals.
- Provides guidance to Provisioning Technicians during assignment of Supply, Maintenance, and Recoverability (SMR) Codes, Essentiality Code (EC), and failure factors or maintenance replacement rates to provisioned items.
- Prepares Maintenance Technical Bulletins and Digest Articles for distribution to the field.
- Prepares Kit Contents Lists, Kit Installation Instructions, and Modification Work Orders (MWOs) for military retrofit kits, special purpose kits, and modification kits.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Associates Degree with 3 to 5 years experience in military maintenance applications or equivalent 5 to 7 years experience in military maintenance.
- Position requires substantial knowledge of the entire product line, knowledge of multiple applications and a detailed knowledge of fundamental maintenance time study and repair procedures.
- Good written and oral communication skills required.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk, see and hear.
- The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and or move objects up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routine uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and copy, fax and scanning machines