AM General LLC, headquartered in South Bend, Ind., with major facilities in nearby Mishawaka, Ind., Auburn Hills, Mich., Franklin, Ohio, and offices in Arlington, Va., designs, engineers, manufactures, supplies and supports specialized vehicles for military and commercial customers worldwide.
Through its Military business, the company is recognized as a world leader in the design, engineering, manufacturing and support of Light Tactical Vehicles, having produced and sustained more than 300,000 vehicles in over 60 countries.
AM General’s growing Commercial business includes two wholly owned subsidiaries: diesel engine manufacturer Powertrain Assembly Plant and automatic transmission manufacturer General Transmission Products. AM General has more than six decades of experience meeting the changing needs of the defense and automotive industries, supported by its employees in Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio, and a strong supplier base that stretches across 43 states.
Assists in the incorporation of customer requirements and specifications, design, redesign and development of existing and current military vehicles, subassemblies, detailed parts and fixtures working under general direction. Interfaces with product design, prototype parts fabrication, vehicle build-up, test, ongoing development engineering and follow-up of initial and post production in the plant.
- Assists in establishing design parameters to achieve most cost effective approach consistent with the end item of the customer’s specifications, performance and reliability objectives, under general supervision. Ensures that product meets Federal, State, local, and military regulations for such items as safety and emission standards.
- Establishes design through calculations, analysis, and various design verification techniques. Approves releasing engineering designs at experimental, test or development phases of the program.
- Determines test requirement. Oversees or may assist in set-up and monitoring of the testing program. Analyzes and evaluates test results to determine acceptability or needed modifications in meeting customer specifications.
- Maintains contact with vendors and subcontractors to keep abreast of new materials, products, sources, pricing, and lead-time requirements. Solicits vendor knowledge and participation in product standardization and cost reduction.
- Provides information and direction to facilitate building of prototype components. Revises design package based on feedback from test activities.
- Provides engineering analysis of field problems and, as required, makes recommendations and implements corrective action.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field
- Three to five years of experience on total vehicle or component design, test of development or six to ten years of equivalent experience.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and or move objects up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routine uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and copy, fax and scanning machines.