With over 2,000 employees located in 30 locations across 20 states, InfraSource provides a comprehensive scope of construction and professional services to the natural gas and electric industry. Utilities and Pipeline Operators throughout North America choose InfraSource for its extensive knowledge, expansive resources, and unmatched scope of services. With legacy companies dating back to 1954, InfraSource has built its reputation as an industry leader for solutions and a premier provider of infrastructure services with a solid track record of performance, integrity, and - above all - a commitment to safety and quality.
InfraSource is seeking a qualified construction estimator with experience in the natural gas and electric utility/pipeline industry.
Primary responsibilities include the timely and accurate development of bids and proposals for the management and construction of underground steel and polyethylene natural gas transmission and distribution systems and underground electric distribution systems. Typical projects include natural gas and electric system installation, relocation and replacement projects in the public right-of-ways and private easements. The successful applicant will possess practical field knowledge of the methods related to this type of work including open excavation and horizontal directional drilling.
Build and submit estimates (bids):
- Review work requirements with local operations management.
- Research and define cost elements related to project construction including labor, equipment, materials, and subcontractors.
- Prepare and distribute Request For Quotes from potential subcontractors and suppliers
- Identify risks and develop project contingencies.
- Prepare written proposals outlining clarifications, exceptions, and assumptions.
- Present final draft to upper management for final determination and risk assessment.
- Submit the approved final bid to the customer by stated due date.
- All other duties as assigned.
Customer correspondence/Business Development:
- Collaborate with Business Development team for large customer engagements.
- Support other regional business units by following leads as assigned.
Attend customer scheduled pre-bid meetings:
- Notate essential topics of discussion at the meeting.
- Attain a thorough understanding of the scope of work including desired construction methods, project timelines, and customer expectations.
- Visit job location to assess site conditions and assess constructability.
Project Management/Post-award follow-up:
- Provide job-related documentation to field operations, project management staff and back office/administrative staff as needed.
- Participate in contract pre-planning meetings.
- Assist in preparing and submitting project/contract deliverables to the customer as required by the contract and InfraSource internal requirements.
- Assist field personnel in developing and/or recommending change orders as needed.
- Maintain files as back-up for estimate figures.
- Thorough and effective communication
- Applying Technology
- Openness to Change
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships
- Proficient in MS Office Applications: MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint
- Exposure to Estimating software
- Expert organizer (notes, files, documents, etc.)
- Proficient in Technical Writing/Correspondence
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks with minimum guidance
5-10 years’ experience as a utility construction estimator required. Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management or related field preferred.