AM General LLC, headquartered in South Bend, Ind., with major facilities in nearby Mishawaka, Ind., Auburn Hills, Mich., Franklin, Ohio, and offices in Arlington, Va., designs, engineers, manufactures, supplies and supports specialized vehicles for military and commercial customers worldwide.
Through its Military business, the company is recognized as a world leader in the design, engineering, manufacturing and support of Light Tactical Vehicles, having produced and sustained more than 300,000 vehicles in over 60 countries.
AM General’s growing Commercial business includes two wholly owned subsidiaries: diesel engine manufacturer Powertrain Assembly Plant and automatic transmission manufacturer General Transmission Products. AM General has more than six decades of experience meeting the changing needs of the defense and automotive industries, supported by its employees in Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio, and a strong supplier base that stretches across 43 states.
The Supplier Quality Engineer III provides support to the Military Assembly Plant and works primarily from the Techniology and Engineering Center. Support will include, but not be limited to: Assisting in supplier source selction, working with suppliers on APQP, sample submission review and approval, corrective actions, working through the part approval process and assisting with supplier-related concerns. They work cross-functionally with all departments and suppliers to ensure supplier parts conform to specification, and when non-conformances are found, that they are addressed in a timely manner and driven back to the supplier and corrected.
The Supplier Quality Engineer III works to ensure continuous improvement in all aspects of work. SQE's focus on cost metrics and objectives to ensure that processes are carried out with a focus on cost reduction. Incumbant will also adhere to AM General requirements and processes and work to improve those processes where possible. SQE's are expected to promote and maintain a safe and respectful work environment.
- Supplier Selection & Evaluation: Perform Supplier Quality system assessments for risk and opportunity. Support Supplier selection process and technical reviews.
- Supplier Product Quality: Work with Suppliers through the supplier APQP process and perform PPAP / Sample submission reviews. Utilize AIAG methods of PFMEA, Control Plan and MSA throughout the process.
- Problem Solving: Assist in problem solving non-conformances and issuing Problem Resolution Reports (PRR) / Corrective Actions for Suppliers. Manage containment, follow- up and preventive actions while driving issues to resolution. Utilize Practical Problem Solving and Lean-Six-Sigma methodologies throughout the process.
- Supplier Monitoring: Track Supplier performance metrics and trends to assist in supply base improvement.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Technical field.
- ASQ Certification (preferred).
- Lean/Six-Sigma Certification (preferred).
- 7+ years experience in Automotive, Defense or manufacturing related field.
- Extensive knowledge of AIAG Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) and Production Part Approval Process (PPAP).
- Strong proficiency with Corrective Actions.
- Familiarity with ISO 9001 and TS 16949 required.
- Strong proficiency in TeamCenter, SAP and Microsoft Office Applications, including familiarity with Sharepoint and Access.
- Strong communication skills.
- Proficiency in problem solving and problem solving methodologies.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and or move objects up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Office environment at TEC. Occasional travel to MAP with moderate exposure to a manufacturing environment that requires necessary safety precautions be understood and adhered to. Limited Required Physical Activity
- Must be able to physically support a manufacturing environment through evaluation of on-the-floor issue resolution and problem solving.
- Travel - Will be expected to travel at minimum, 2 days per week to conduct Supplier visits. In addition, will require occasional travel to MAP.